August 6th Friday – Brass on the Patio 1-2pm. Free music on the patio at Charlton House. Bring a chair to sit and listen, then go for a walk around the walled gardens and check out what the Volunteers have been doing. Music every Friday until September.
August 7th/8th Sat/Sun Great Comp Summer Show. Lots of exhibitors, you need to prebook for a timed entry slot.
August 21st Saturday 12 Noon-8pm. Greenwich Together 21 – currently being planned by RBG and will be held in Charlton Park mainly, with some events in the Charlton House gardens. Music, dance, family activities. Including an Enchanted Forest in the “Wilderness” garden we understand!
August 28th Saturday 2-5pm Mottingham Horticultural Society Autumn Show, to be held at Eltham College. Several classes are “open” so other members can enter, and there are some InterSociety classes as well if anyone fancies getting some members together to enter! Even if you don’t enter, it is a lovely show to visit.
Some Exhibitions to visit:
May 23rd until September: Royal Academy David Hockney: The arrival of Spring in Normandy (£19). https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibition/david-hockney
May 19th until August Dulwich Picture Gallery Exhibition – Unearthed: Photography’s roots £8-£15 The story of photography, told through images of plants. https://www.dulwichpicturegallery.org.uk/whats-on/
Also note, the curators talk about this exhibition is available to listen to online, see their website.
Links to Virtual gardens and websites:
- Gresham College past lectures: A huge number of back lectures available on YouTube. Use the search box and type in eg Gardens to find interesting ones. Anna recommends a good one on John Evelyn as a pioneering environmentalist. https://www.gresham.ac.uk/watch/?subject=&subcat=&files=&year=&search=evelyn
- Greenwich & Bexley Hospice virtual gardens from 2020 https://twhitham.wixsite.com/opengardens2020
- Garden Masterclass – eg Vita Sackville West’s garden at Long Barn https://www.gardenmasterclass.org/blog-and-podcasts/2020/5/12/long-barn-vita-sackville-wests-first-garden
- Garden Museum‘s Arts and Culture platform for online visits: https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/garden-museum
- Sussex Prairie garden. The website is a great browse: https://www.sussexprairies.co.uk/
- Prospect Cottage – Derek Jarman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orNvcliKlnY
- The Royal Academy has a selection of videos on Artists gardens, eg Monet, Bonnard, Nolde https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/article/video-inside-the-artists-gardens
- Gardens Illustrated have a great article on Exbury Gardens including a virtual tour, the gardens. https://www.gardensillustrated.com/gardens/gardens-to-visit/exbury-gardens-virtual-garden-tour/?utm_content=buffer721b7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer&fbclid=IwAR2dAstK8fNxqiKDFiNwd46CD2tp2KGAV-ZawRFKyrv8OSGzx3ZUFaHuT4I
- RHS Wisley has released a birds-eye view film, narrated by Matthew Pottage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=FhFQj-fyJ_8&feature=emb_logo
- “Among The Trees” exhibition at the Hayward gallery has put a 4 minute tour of the exhibition up on YouTube, here’s the link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrjzLLPDITc
- The RHS Podcasts are always a good listen: https://www.rhs.org.uk/about-the-rhs/publications/podcasts
- Try the Great Comp website, for videos of their garden. Great Comp https://greatcompgarden.co.uk/
- Kew Gardens has a good “virtual” section. https://www.kew.org/about-us/virtual-kew-wakehurst
- Or you can take a virtual tour of Highgrove: https://artsandculture.google.com/exhibit/igLSEOWqhVHoJw
- Waddesdon Manor, Baron Rothschild’s home until it was left to the National Trust in 1959 can be toured here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyYuxTfdtKo
- The RHS Get Growing campaign is full of advice for beginners, or maybe useful to jog experienced gardeners into doing something different: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/get-growing
Please let us know if you spot other interesting ones!
Great Dixter’s Fergus Garrett is delivering online lectures by Zoom: https://www.greatdixter.co.uk/whats-on/