October 26th & 27th, Tues/Wed sessions at 10am/11.30am/2pm. “Ghosts Gargoyles and Goodies” – half term Halloween fun for the kids, 5-12yrs. Part of each session will be in the gardens. https://www.greenwichheritage.org/whats-on/detail/ghosts-gargoyles-and-goodies
Looking for helpers! The trail is done, and children will have parents with them, so it’s just to point out the spiders etc if they can’t be found easily. If you would like to help, please contact email@example.com
October 25-29th Pumpkin carving and Autumn Trail at Great Comp gardens £5.
October 1-31st 10am-4.30pm Hall Place Bexley – Halloween Garden Trail £2.50. Pick up a trail sheet from the Stable gallery and find the witches around the gardens.
Links to Virtual gardens and websites:
- Gresham College past lectures: A huge number of back lectures available on YouTube. Use the search box and type in eg Gardens to find interesting ones. Anna recommends a good one on John Evelyn as a pioneering environmentalist. https://www.gresham.ac.uk/watch/?subject=&subcat=&files=&year=&search=evelyn
- Greenwich & Bexley Hospice virtual gardens from 2020 https://twhitham.wixsite.com/opengardens2020
- Garden Masterclass – eg Vita Sackville West’s garden at Long Barn https://www.gardenmasterclass.org/blog-and-podcasts/2020/5/12/long-barn-vita-sackville-wests-first-garden
- Garden Museum‘s Arts and Culture platform for online visits: https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/garden-museum
- Sussex Prairie garden. The website is a great browse: https://www.sussexprairies.co.uk/
- Prospect Cottage – Derek Jarman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orNvcliKlnY
- The Royal Academy has a selection of videos on Artists gardens, eg Monet, Bonnard, Nolde https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/article/video-inside-the-artists-gardens
- Gardens Illustrated have a great article on Exbury Gardens including a virtual tour, the gardens. https://www.gardensillustrated.com/gardens/gardens-to-visit/exbury-gardens-virtual-garden-tour/?utm_content=buffer721b7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer&fbclid=IwAR2dAstK8fNxqiKDFiNwd46CD2tp2KGAV-ZawRFKyrv8OSGzx3ZUFaHuT4I
- RHS Wisley has released a birds-eye view film, narrated by Matthew Pottage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=FhFQj-fyJ_8&feature=emb_logo
- “Among The Trees” exhibition at the Hayward gallery has put a 4 minute tour of the exhibition up on YouTube, here’s the link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrjzLLPDITc
- The RHS Podcasts are always a good listen: https://www.rhs.org.uk/about-the-rhs/publications/podcasts
- Try the Great Comp website, for videos of their garden. Great Comp https://greatcompgarden.co.uk/
- Kew Gardens has a good “virtual” section. https://www.kew.org/about-us/virtual-kew-wakehurst
- Or you can take a virtual tour of Highgrove: https://artsandculture.google.com/exhibit/igLSEOWqhVHoJw
- Waddesdon Manor, Baron Rothschild’s home until it was left to the National Trust in 1959 can be toured here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyYuxTfdtKo
- The RHS Get Growing campaign is full of advice for beginners, or maybe useful to jog experienced gardeners into doing something different: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/get-growing
Please let us know if you spot other interesting ones!
Great Dixter’s Fergus Garrett is delivering online lectures by Zoom: https://www.greatdixter.co.uk/whats-on/